How can swimming in ice-cold water be good for you, and how can you do it safely? This webcast is for anyone who wants to find out more about winter swimming, its many benefits and how to do it safely. It includes:
1. Why swim in winter? Discussing the benefits with Rachel from Mental Health Swims.
2. The art of acclimatisation with Dr. Heather Massey
3. Finding your people
4. Staying safe
5. Challenges and extremes with Ice-Miler Cath Pendleton
This download includes a transcript for those who are hearing impaired. Your purchase includes a 25% donation to the mental health charity, Mind.
About the speakers
Rowan Clarke will be hosting the webinar: "Coming into my fifth winter as a swimmer and third as a coach, I'm an experienced guide and writer about all things winter swimming."
Rachel runs a community venture called Mental Health Swims that hosts meet-ups all year all across the UK with an emphasis on dips, not distances, community not competition. "I started these swims because struggling with your mental health is enough of a barrier."
Cath was the first Welsh woman to complete an ice mile, which is a mile-long swim in water below 5 degrees centigrade. Last year she swam an Arctic ice-mile, and she has also swum the Channel.
Heather is a professor at the University of Portsmouth's Extreme Environments lab and has led studies into acclimatisaion and the effect of cold water on the body.
Winter swimming webcast
After you've paid, you'll get a zip file containing a PDF with a link to the video and a transcription of the webcast.
To watch the video:
- Open the zip file and extract the PDF
- Click the link in the PDF. This will take you to Vimeo
- Enter the password as written on the PDF (it is case sensitive)
You can watch the video on any device with an up-to-date server. You will need an internet connection. You cannot download the video.
By going ahead with this purchase, you understand and agree that:
- This video is for information only: you swim at your own risk
- You will not copy or share this video or its contents without written permission
- I cannot be responsible for your server or internet connection and its ability to stream the video
- This purchase is non-refundable
Run time: 1hr 39mins